Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Bridal Show

It was as I feared - a David Lynch experience filled with 18 year old bridezillas, princess dresses, punch fountains, and midgets. OK well maybe not midgets.

It was PACKED, so much so that you had to stand in line to get in. As we stood there (me wearing a tacky yellow bride to be sticker which still haunts me) I knew that it was likely not worth the wait but felt compelled to stick it out. We squeezed into the cattle car of a show to shuffle around looking at booths with DJs, limos, rented equipment, dresses, florists, etc. I even entered for a few drawings which was likely a mistake that will fill my mailbox with unwanted crap for years to come.

But in general my thought throughout the whole experience was - who gives a crap? I mean seriously - do candles with "Frenchie & Alexis Forever" really speak to our relationship in any meaningful way? And the princess bridal dresses completely with Miss America tiaras, what the hell is going on with that? And am I the last person in America who still see Limos as something that harkens back to high school proms? Having some overly tan greaseball drive me around on my special day doesn't really say anything other than "unnecessary $500 expense." Hell my Dad has a nicer car and he doesn't smell funny - maybe I can get him to drive me around for free.

So far planning our wedding (and we don't really have much of a plan yet) has been more of a process of self-discovering. We are discovering that most of the traditional wedding trappings simply aren't us. We want to get wedding with great friends, great wine, and great food. Most everything else is just details. So we'll continue figuring out how this is all going to work. But I hope that it will be monogrammed unity candle free....

No comments: