Pages

Friday, January 20, 2006

Veil of Darkness

Its 10:00 am and its dark out. Dark enough that I had to turn lights on to get dressed. Dark enough that I had to turn lights on to work. The sky is so grey that its literally blocking out the sun. Ugh.

So what have I learned about VT since I got here? Well lets see...

#1 - Only children play soccer. I did manage to get on 2 teams. One is all college students and the other all high school students. One girl told me she was a Sophomore - I thought, "please God let her mean a sophomore in COLLEGE" but she wasn't. Before meeting these teams I had offered to bring beer to the occasional game. Frenchie teased me, "You'll have to wait a few years until your team mates are legal."

#2 - Weddings here are expensive. I had hoped that since we now live in rural VT that they would actually be cheaper but not so much. How can it cost $85/person for dinner? I mean we're talking steak and shrimp here. So why $85? Because its a wedding and you end up paying a small fortune to celebrate your love with people you care about. And don't get me started on all the little fees they tack on to everything. You want to use the bathroom? Oh that's EXTRA.

#3 - There are too many women here wearing those Christmas sweaters that you laugh at in the store. The large red cardigan with sequined santas dancing around the collar and shiny strings of lights circling the sleeves. The ones that invariably are marked down 80% after Christmas because they are so horrifying they can barely give them away. Well now I know where they find homes - VT.

So there's the report for now. We're going to a Bridal Show on Sunday which I'm sure will be a fertile source of more comments so check back for more ;)

No comments: