Pages

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Tomorrow 10:00 AM PST



Tomorrow I have a meeting with my boss. I actually like him. He leaves me alone, helps when I ask for it, and is generally supportive. All of these things are rare.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to tell him that Jan 2 is my last day. There has been much debate among my friends as to if this is too much notice. But I'm leaving him in a bad spot and I wouldn't feel right about waiting much longer. Also I won't know if I'll be allowed to work remotely until I come clean about my plan to flee the scene. And plus, sneaky just isn't my thing.

So I've been waiting for this day for MONTHS. And yet as the clock winds down to our meeting, I'm feeling increasingly unsettled about it. I have butterflies. I'm distracted. And the little pimple on my cheek has expanded to a full boil. At this rate I fear its simply pausing on the path to growing into a fully formed second head. And there is a little voice inside my head (or maybe it is the growing consciousness of what will soon be my second head) saying, "Wait."

Unfortunately I can't tell if this is a wise voice that I should listen to or simply the voice of fear of the unknown.

The longer I wait, the less I look like a team player. The less I look like a team player, the less likely he is to go to bat for me to work remotely.

The longer I wait the more painful it will be for him when I give notice, the more negotiating leverage I have.

The sooner I give notice the sooner I can stop feeling guilty about not giving notice.

The sooner I give notice the sooner I can "work from home" to actually spend some time in VT with Frenchie.

The sooner I give notice the sooner I can find out if I need to find a new job in VT or will be able to keep my own.

Thoughts? Hmmm....

1 comment:

Alexis said...

If my project weren't so important and if I didn't like my boss I would have gone with 2 weeks too. But really I want him to let me work from VT. I'm not really quitting but asking, "I'm moving, can I keep my job?"

Also all my co-workers have known for a long time. I'm a horrible secret keeper so they all knew back in July :P

No idea about the guilt but its definitely a gender thing. I have guys who can spill an entire glass of red wine on the rug and 5 minutes later, have completely forgotten about it. Meanwhile I would apologize for the rest of the evening and follow up with flowers the next day ;P